DBT Tracks Week #25 - The Righteous Path

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

DBT Tracks Week #25 - The Righteous Path

Post by beantownbubba »

"The Righteous Path" by Patterson Hood

I got a brand new car that drinks a bunch of gas
I got a house in a neighborhood that's fading fast
I got a dog and a cat that don't fight too much
I got a few hundred channels to keep me in touch
I got a beautiful wife and three tow-headed kids
I got a couple of big secrets I'd kill to keep hid
I don't know God but I fear his wrath
I'm trying to keep focused on the righteous path

I got a couple of opinions that I hold dear
A whole lot of debt and a whole lot of fear
I got an itch that needs scratching but it feels alright
I got the need to blow it out on Saturday night
I got a grill in the backyard and a case of beers
I got a boat that ain't seen the water in years
More bills than money, I can do the math
I'm trying to keep focused on the righteous path

I'm trying to keep focused as I drive down the road
On the ditches and the curves and the heavy load
Ain't bitching bout things that aren't in my grasp
Just trying to hold steady on the righteous path

There's this friend of mine I've known all my life
Who can't get it right no matter how hard he tries
He's got kids he don't see and several ex-wives
And a list of bad decisions bout eight miles wide
Trouble with the law and the IRS
And where he'll get the money's anybody's guess
He's a long way off but if you was to ask
He'd say he's trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Trying to keep focused as we drive down the road
Like we did back in High School before the world turned cold
Now the brakes are thin and the curves are fast
We're trying to hold steady on the righteous path

We're hanging out and we're hanging on
We're trying the best we can to keep keeping on
We got messed up minds for these messed up times
And it's a thin thin line separating his from mine

Trying to hold steady on the righteous path
80 miles and hour with a worn out map
No time for self-pity or self-righteous crap
Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

To my way of thinking, this is classic P Hood. I mean we KNOW this guy, we may BE this guy. No fancy metaphors (except for the one about the brakes & curves); the language is as direct, simple and straightforward as it can be, and in just a few lines he describes perfectly real people living real life. No easy answers, either. For the most part, Hood's characters are pretty clear eyed about their situations and how they got there and generally don't wallow in self pity. But I love this song because even by Mr. Hood's lofty standards, it is so EXACTLY right in every detail and because the characters are so totally honest w/ themselves.

In typical Hood fashion, the song's a great chorus away from perfect.

I love the pedal steel, but it seems to me that the lead guitar's way too far back in the mix and not nearly gritty enough. I "hear" a fiery, "show-offy" solo in a couple of the breaks where there's only what I'd describe as "tasteful licks" but the story here is the lyrics anyway, and they're top shelf.

Does anyone know what he actually sings on the album in place of "self righteous" in the last verse?

IMHO, it's the first three songs that make Brighter Than Creation's Dark, and this just happens to be one of those three :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Re: DBT Tracks Week #25 - The Righteous Path

Post by Duke Silver »

beantownbubba wrote:Does anyone know what he actually sings on the album in place of "self righteous" in the last verse?

Haven't listened to this in a while, but the version playing in my head says "...or the world will crack." (Could be way off, though. Took me a million listens to figure out that Patterson was saying "Randy Rhodes..." in "Let There Be Rock.")

I agree on the guitars. This song is a dominant, memorable guitar lick away from being a top shelf DBT rocker for me.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I think you have to listen to this and "Goode's Field Road" against each other. Path, road--what's the difference, really? Both guys have those three kids and both of them think they're on the righteous path and who is to say they aren't? I ain't judging either way.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The words to this song are just simply truth to me. We all think we're on the righteous path and some of us are, and some of us aren't. Nothing much we can do about it either way except just keep plugging along. Aside from all that the song kills live.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Does anyone know what he actually sings on the album in place of "self righteous" in the last verse?

Haven't listened to this in a while, but the version playing in my head says "...or the world will crack." (Could be way off, though. Took me a million listens to figure out that Patterson was saying "Randy Rhodes..." in "Let There Be Rock.")

I agree on the guitars. This song is a dominant, memorable guitar lick away from being a top shelf DBT rocker for me.

I just always heard it as "no time for self pity or any of that other crap"
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I think you have to listen to this and "Goode's Field Road" against each other. Path, road--what's the difference, really? Both guys have those three kids and both of them think they're on the righteous path and who is to say they aren't? I ain't judging either way.

Dang! You are so right about the juxtaposition - hit me over the head w/ a 2x4 why dontcha? But I'm not sure i get to the same place as you when i do juxtapose them. Gonna have to think on that one...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

I just always heard it as "no time for self pity or any of that other crap"

I agree, that last line has something to do with "crap." I disagree that the song needs a guitar lick or hook or whatever, I don't see why it needs anything else. It rocks hard from start to finish with lyrics that hit like a shot to the chest. I would think that any adult with a pulse can relate to the characters in this song. I also agree with TC that the live version kicks all kinds of ass, especially the "2-3-4!" intro and the fast-stop ending. Interesting that P Hood changes several of the lyrics in the ACL version.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think this song summed up 2008 better than any other in terms of what the country was going through. It never clicked with me musically, but in terms of a "state of the union" song, it works better than This Fucking Job.

You could put together an entire CD of Patterson songs that are just about the plight of the working class
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
I agree, that last line has something to do with "crap."

Yes, in the printed lyrics, the line ends w/ "crap," too. The question is, what are the words before that. The printed lyrics are "self righteous," as sung, it seems to be something else.

"Interesting that P Hood changes several of the lyrics in the ACL version." Never thought much about those, like changing "Saturday" to "Sunday", 'cause i assume the taping was on a Sunday. But now that u mention it, changing the "list of bad decisions" to intentions kind of undercuts the rest of the song, no? Assuming it was intentional, of course, which it may not be.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:
I agree, that last line has something to do with "crap."

Yes, in the printed lyrics, the line ends w/ "crap," too. The question is, what are the words before that. The printed lyrics are "self righteous," as sung, it seems to be something else.

"Interesting that P Hood changes several of the lyrics in the ACL version." Never thought much about those, like changing "Saturday" to "Sunday", 'cause i assume the taping was on a Sunday. But now that u mention it, changing the "list of bad decisions" to intentions kind of undercuts the rest of the song, no? Assuming it was intentional, of course, which it may not be.
ACL was taped on a Friday so there goes that theory. :D
"Trouble in the backyard and a case of beer"
"Got bills than money I can do the math"
"Like back in high school before the heavy load"
I don't really think any of these were intentional.
Doesn't bother me, but drives the soonerette CRAZY!! :lol:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I associate this song so much with BTCD that I often mistakenly refer that album as "The Righteous Path". I think it is one of the songs that sums up the themes of BTCD, one of them is that each of us has our own set of values and beliefs which guides our decisions in life. But the struggles of life -- whether a tragic event or just the day to day stuff -- forces us to question the values, beliefs and the path we are on.

The first verse shows a typical family man. He owns a home, a brand new car and is raising a family. For him the righteous path is going to work everyday to keep a roof over his family's heads, pay his bills and enjoy his home life. The line "I don't know God but I fear his wrath, I'm trying to stay focused on the righteous path" is an interesting one. It suggests that for the narrator right and wrong are not necessarily determined by religious beliefs but perhaps by the fear that everything will turn to shit if he strays from the path he has chosen.

The second verse is a bit more honest, perhaps stripping away the surface. He knows that the life he has chosen is rather precarious. He is just a pink slip away from losing everything. The bills are piling up. He can't always keep up. Some of his dreams are already going to pot. He's got a boat in the backyard but no time to put it in the water. He deals with this by drinking and raising a little hell on a Saturday night. (I picture the average 40 something DBT fan at a rock show.)

The first bridge is about keeping everything together. You've got to focus hard to do this.

The third verse gets even more interesting. The narrator has a friend he has known all his life and this friend has rejected the very things that the narrator has dedicated his life to. For his friend, being on the righteous path probably means being a righteous dude, one who has never given in and accepted responsibility for his children or finances.

By the end of the song the narrator realizes that both men are leading precarious lives. They are both just a step or two ahead of everything falling apart. Yes, they are on different paths and most of us would say that the narrator has chosen the righteous one. But are the results any different? The narrator's company could close up shop, his car get repossessed and his mortgage forclosed just as easily as the law finally catching up with his deadbeat friend. In the end, both are just keeping on and doing the best they can.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Very interesting, Rev. I won't say we're 180 degrees apart, but maybe 150, lol. It's always a trip to discover an interpretation so far from one's own.

OK, this is a bit out of my league, and presumably closer to yours but isn't "knowing God" more or less a term of art in certain Christian circles (I wanna say evangelicals, but I'm not 100% sure)? And doesn't it mean more or less accepting God into your life and leading a spiritual life? So isn't the narrator saying that he doesn't lead a spiritual life, but he fears God's wrath because he knows enough to know that he's not leading a spiritual life and, implicitly, he cares what God thinks. And doesn't the next line mean "but damn, I'm trying? Not necessarily leading a life governed by strict religious rituals and rules, but one guided by religious principles, and not necessarily totally successfully but certainly mindful of what he should be doing and what he'd like to be doing.

You lose me totally re the third verse. If i understand you correctly you're saying that the narrator is not living a religious or religiously motivated life yet his friend, who is not living a religious life, has rejected the values the narrator has dedicated his life to. I find that very confusing. And while i understand what u mean by what u think the friend thinks "righteous" means, I disagree totally. I understand this verse to mean that even someone who has by every outward sign and indication totally fucked up still has a good heart and a good "compass" and really wants to do the right thing and still sees himself struggling to do so.

Whoops, gotta run to try to do a right thing so i'll just leave it there.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:Very interesting, Rev. I won't say we're 180 degrees apart, but maybe 150, lol. It's always a trip to discover an interpretation so far from one's own.

OK, this is a bit out of my league, and presumably closer to yours but isn't "knowing God" more or less a term of art in certain Christian circles (I wanna say evangelicals, but I'm not 100% sure)? And doesn't it mean more or less accepting God into your life and leading a spiritual life? So isn't the narrator saying that he doesn't lead a spiritual life, but he fears God's wrath because he knows enough to know that he's not leading a spiritual life and, implicitly, he cares what God thinks. And doesn't the next line mean "but damn, I'm trying? Not necessarily leading a life governed by strict religious rituals and rules, but one guided by religious principles, and not necessarily totally successfully but certainly mindful of what he should be doing and what he'd like to be doing.

You lose me totally re the third verse. If i understand you correctly you're saying that the narrator is not living a religious or religiously motivated life yet his friend, who is not living a religious life, has rejected the values the narrator has dedicated his life to. I find that very confusing. And while i understand what u mean by what u think the friend thinks "righteous" means, I disagree totally. I understand this verse to mean that even someone who has by every outward sign and indication totally fucked up still has a good heart and a good "compass" and really wants to do the right thing and still sees himself struggling to do so.

Whoops, gotta run to try to do a right thing so i'll just leave it there.

I interpret the "I don't know God but I fear his wrath, I'm trying to keep focused on the righteous path" line this way. 1) "I don't know God" I take to mean he doesn't practice any religious faith other than putting up a Christmas tree. In evangelical circles -- the predominant expression of the Christian faith in the American South -- a person is saved when that person has "a personal relationship with Jesus Christ." What I think the narrator means by saying "I don't know God" is that he doesn't have this "personal relationship" or practice a religious faith. In that cultural context he is a decent, law abiding family man who doesn't attend church. 2) "But I fear his wrath" I take this to mean that even though the man does not practice a religious faith he does believe that there are consequences for his actions. He isn't an atheist, just someone who does not practice a religion. But he does fear that if he does not do the right thing there would be some form of retribution. That retribution could be cosmic. 3) "I'm trying to stay focused on the righteous path." For him, the righteous path is going to work everyday and taking care of his family. As long as he does this, the bad shit should not happen to him. This is what he believes. Probably the same as what most people believe.

In the third verse the narrator brings up his friend. This guy does not live up to his responsibilities. He does not see his kids. Probably doesn't even pay child support. He has legal and tax problems. He is staying just one step ahead of everything going to shit. For him, the righteous path means something entirely different. Probably living for today, not compromising. Hustling to survive. We all know people like this. Or maybe he believes he is doing the right thing but is blind to the fact that he isn't.

The gist of the song, IMO, is that both men are in a similar predicament. The narrator's life could fall to shit if he loses his job and can no longer stay one step ahead of a car repossession or a house foreclosure. He's busting his ass but just scraping by. His friend is also in a precarious position. The law or the IRS could finally catch up with him. The world is a cold place for both men. There is no margin for error, like driving fast at night on a curving road. "We got messed up minds for these messed up times And it's a thin line separating his from mine."
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

At first I thought Pat was saying "it's a thin thin line separating yours (not his) from mine"
kinda a shout out to the listener, making it a lil autobiographical.
but once I realized it was "his from mine", that fit perfect too.
The gist of the third verse to me is that although the narrator is trying to hold it together withe verything he's got, he's not too far removed from his friend and very easily could've ended up like he did - to me the moral of that is don't be condescending/judgmental cuz ueven with good intentions its easy to veer off the path.
"it just gets so hard to keep between the ditches when the roads wind the way they do"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Probably less far apart on the first verse than i initially thought, Rev, though still not in agreement, i don't think.

But we still totally differ on the 3d verse (altho we do agree that both men are in a similar predicament). Which is ok. I think maybe Smitty splits the difference, and that's ok too :) I do think you're absolutely right, Smitty, that part of the message here is don't be condescending/judgmental because we're all a lot more like "them" than we might like to think.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:The gist of the third verse to me is that although the narrator is trying to hold it together with everything he's got, he's not too far removed from his friend and very easily could've ended up like he did - to me the moral of that is don't be condescending/judgmental cuz ueven with good intentions its easy to veer off the path.
"it just gets so hard to keep between the ditches when the roads wind the way they do"

Smitty, what I think he's saying is one of my favorite phrases; "there but for the grace of god go I". I neither know God nor fear his wrath, but I do believe in that phrase a d often repeat is as a mantra. I think it whenever I see a homeless person or anyone else down on their luck. It could just as easily be me so I better watch who I judge. It's just that type of thinking that's missing today too. This song speaks to me in spades.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: This song speaks to me in spades.

That's b/c you have a boat that ain't seen the water in years. :lol:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:Probably less far apart on the first verse than i initially thought, Rev, though still not in agreement, i don't think.

But we still totally differ on the 3d verse (altho we do agree that both men are in a similar predicament). Which is ok. I think maybe Smitty splits the difference, and that's ok too :) I do think you're absolutely right, Smitty, that part of the message here is don't be condescending/judgmental because we're all a lot more like "them" than we might like to think.

If the song moves you or teaches you something, you are interpreting it correctly. A great song can be taken several different ways. I don't disagree with you, just hear it a little differently. I think that is because every person brings their own life and experience into it.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:

That is one of my favorite lines in the whole song. When I first heard it I felt like Patterson had taken a walk through my neighborhood. How many of us have bought a boat or camper but became so busy that we hardly ever use them anymore?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I could've sworn it's "we got messed up lives" instead of "minds"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:

No, but I used to.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Trying to hold steady on the righteous path
80 miles an hour with a worn out map
No time for self-pity or self-righteous crap
Trying to stay focused on the righteous path :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I think you have to listen to this and "Goode's Field Road" against each other. Path, road--what's the difference, really? Both guys have those three kids and both of them think they're on the righteous path and who is to say they aren't? I ain't judging either way.

Dang! You are so right about the juxtaposition - hit me over the head w/ a 2x4 why dontcha? But I'm not sure i get to the same place as you when i do juxtapose them. Gonna have to think on that one...

So are the Righteous Path guy and the Goode's Field Road guy the same person, just separated by the 10 or 15 years it took for the 3 tow headed kids to turn into 3 college tuitions?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

So are the Righteous Path guy and the Goode's Field Road guy the same person, just separated by the 10 or 15 years it took for the 3 tow headed kids to turn into 3 college tuitions?

I think it works and its a very interesting insight but I don't necessarily think it was meant to be that way

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

"He's a long way off, but if you wuz to ask, He'd say he's try'in to stay on the righteous path."

I always felt like the narrator was judging his friends actions against his own. And his friend is one of these people who no matter how they live their lives, fails to see their short comings (or at least doesn't admit to their part in their shortcomings) and says they're doing the best they can regardless of whether they really are or not. Ironically as hard as the narrator is trying he may end up in the same boat as his friend. Just a little different angle.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I'm with BTB on the 3rd verse, or the "buddy verse" if you will. The line "no matter how hard he tries" and and "if you was to ask, he's trying to stay focused on the righteous path". He is just one of these guys that just can't catch a break in life. He is busting his ass, doing what he can, but things just don't work out for him. Some people have the exact opposite happen to them quite a bit as well, no matter what they do, it turns to gold. This guy just touches things, and for reasons unknown, they turn to shit. We have all had times like that in our lives, just hopefully none of us have had our entire lives like that.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

PeterJ wrote:I'm with BTB on the 3rd verse, or the "buddy verse" if you will. The line "no matter how hard he tries" and and "if you was to ask, he's trying to stay focused on the righteous path". He is just one of these guys that just can't catch a break in life. He is busting his ass, doing what he can, but things just don't work out for him. Some people have the exact opposite happen to them quite a bit as well, no matter what they do, it turns to gold. This guy just touches things, and for reasons unknown, they turn to shit. We have all had times like that in our lives, just hopefully none of us have had our entire lives like that.

I see your point. Maybe in subconciously applying the lyrics to people I know the actual meaning got skewwed by failing to take "no matter how hard he tries" into account. Take that line out and i maintain my analysis still applies. ;)
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So this is what I said:

And this was the reaction (I'm cutting them this way 'cause you can only nest quotes three deep, by the way):

Smitty wrote:
Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Dang! You are so right about the juxtaposition - hit me over the head w/ a 2x4 why dontcha? But I'm not sure i get to the same place as you when i do juxtapose them. Gonna have to think on that one...

I think it works and its a very interesting insight but I don't necessarily think it was meant to be that way

Since I raised the point, I ought to say what I think: No, I don't think they're the same guy in a literal sense. The details and the personalities don't match up for me.

But Goode's Field Road was one of the earliest songs on the record--I think it is the earliest of Hood's songs on there--and The Righteous Path was the last one written, and consciously or not, I think Hood put them together like this for us to compare. The guy in The Righteous Path is just a guy like anyone but the Goode's Field Road man has a big old chip on his shoulder from the start. If The Righteous Path guy comes to a dead end, he'll go down fighting. He may not make much of a fight of it, but there'll be one. The Goode's Field Road guy is giving up. It's the grinding down of life that makes them similar, but their lives are quite different.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Been thinking on this for a bit. If i had to guess, I would say that the comparisons or parallels in the 2 songs are not consciously intentional in some sort of "concept album" kind of way. But Patterson writes about the things he writes about and connections are going to arise (or be made by overeager fans, lol). Obviously, then, I don't think the songs are about the same person at different points in time.

But I do think the songs are about the same kinds of people who grew up in similar circumstances w/ similar influences. I don't think the guy in Goode's Field has given up, I think he's come to the end of the line and has to pay the consequences of his actions, which he realizes and is facing like a man. So to me, the RP narrator, the RP buddy and the GF guy are like a triptych: 3 versions of the same story: They're all guided by the same principles but life is funny and can getcha in a lot of different ways.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Not sure if this'll help add to the discussion any but these are Patterson's thoughts on Goode's Field Road from the DBTs website. I first heard the song at the second Pine Hill Farm concert. I'm sure if you dig up that bootleg as well as other performances of the song his commentary will help shed even further light on the story behind the song.

Wanted to be true also to that guy riding to his destiny in the back of a rented car in the middle of the night to a destination that he thinks will be the answer to all his problems. It was an ageless story with a different twist. Insurance money for the family seemed like a better option than the kind of prison awaiting him. A thousand decisions had led him there and it wasn't my place to question them. There isn't an actual road called Goode's Field Road but if you grew up where I did you know exactly where it is. Some of the best stories aren't really for the telling and the best songs come from the details and spaces locked within.
I wrote this song in 2000 and planned it for The Dirty South album, but at the last minute decided we didn't have the magic take and swapped it for Lookout Mountain. The song has been on my mind ever since but its transition from the mannered country of its original version to the raging primal stomp we landed on here (one magic take) made all the difference and once again proved to me that all things happen for a reason, you just have to trust your instincts (if they seem to be good ones at least) and let things reveal themselves in their own due time.